Sunday, December 7, 2008

Watching Brandon Jennings

Yesterday afternoon, I had the pleasure of watching Roma play some German team in the Euroleague competition. Of course my eyes were locked in on Roma's little man with the white arm sleeve. It was the only way I could distinguish him from other guards on the team with the bad feed from NBA TV. Getting past the awful announcing from some Italian guy took some time, but once I did, I was able to hone in on our main man from Compton. Sadly, he only played 11 minutes and never got into the flow of things on both ends of the court. His timing was a little off and his shot selection was questionable at best. I do not agree with the coaching for this team and many Euroleague teams I have seen in the past. The pace is slow, yet the bodies keep flooding in on subsitutions. Just about every players sees some time on the court but no one truly develops a chance to get comfortable within the context of the game. With Brandon, its obvious that he is eons ahead of all of the players athletically and visually. He sees and attempts passes on the court that no one else would be cabable of visualizing. While the execution is yet to be on par with the likes of Chris Paul, Steve Nash or D. Williams, these flashes of brilliance leave you wanting more. Unfortunately, playing in Europe, I'm guessing his floortime will top off at around 24 minutes a game with little chance for developling the necessary rythmn for upper echelon point guards. His turnovers were high, but I would attribute that to his style of play. He is built for the NBA, methodical buildups into freakishly athletic bursts to find openings on the floor. The lane is packed with 3-4 players diminishing some of Brandons greatest talents. The amount of hours spent playing basketball with his team should benefit him greatly in the League, but I'd argue that game experience will prove useless, at least on the offensive end.

No comments: