Saturday, January 10, 2009

Booty Star Glock Talk: Atlantic Division

Having nearly reached the halfway point of this fine NBA season with my equally gorgeous subscription to League Pass, I felt it pertinent to reflect on the games I have been watching and assess the "watchability" of certain teams. Too many factors went into this grading system so I'll just fire out a list and explain the reasons. Take into account that these are incredibly biased reasons for disliking or liking to watch a team play. The scale is from 1-10 with 1 being an automatic channel change and 10 a "locked in and no switching, even during commercial mode."

Boston Celtics: The defending champs are slowly becoming one of the least interesting teams to watch in my opinion. Ray Allen has never been a favorite of mine, and the excessive attempted punking by Pierce and Garnett is just getting annoying. Rondo's all around brilliance and freakishly long arms continue to keep me coming back for more. And the added inscentive to watch the continual growth of Bay Area's Leon Powe.
Watchability: 7.5

New Jersey Nets: Devin Harris is my main draw here for me. Got to meet him a few times during his stint at UW (I even walked into his apartment when he was in nothing but his boxers ;) and the guy is truly a nice person. Very level-headed and not a dick with his star status. Easy to root for him as he ascends to All-Star levels in his newfound role. Having said all this, it is incredibly difficult for one player to bring me to a team's attention. Devin is close, but if he rests, I often switch and just forget the Nets were even on in the first place. Was getting a little ticked off that Sean Williams was never playing, but with his recent D-League struggles, I suppose Frank's reasons were legitimate.
Watchability: 7.0

Philadelphia 76ers: No offense to the major sixer following we have aquired on PW, but I just can't stand watching this team play basketball. All of the parts are in place for me to being a fan of this team. Andre Miller dropping mad dimes, Thad and Dre providing the much needed athletic freaks I so enjoy watching, and a fantasy basketball favorite, Sam Dalembert. Even with the injured Brand, I was continually ticked off by their underachieving nature and the fact that I expect so much more from them leads to the infrequency of view time.
Watchability: 2.5

Toronto Raptors:
Another team I should love watching on a daily basis is sinking fast due to my high pre-season expectations. Chris Bosh was easily my favorite player on Team U.S.A. last summer and Jose Calderon's assist to turnover ratio and smooth stroke has always been a huge turn on for this blogger. Maybe its the bitterness at J.O. for always being injured during his tenure with the Pacers, or perhaps its their oft-stagnent offense that should be cutting through defenses around the league like a hot knife through butter. Sad story, but I often change the channel after a couple minutes of watching this team ball. The one thing that pumps them up a couple notches is that they always provide me with a Sunday morning NBA fix with their 11:30 starts when playing at Air Canada Centre.
Watchability: 4.0


New York Knicks: This is one of the few teams I can't stop watching due to one player. Mr. David Lee has me hooked on the Bockers like one of those Blue Magic heroin addicts in American Gangster. He has an incredibly quick first step, finishes in all shapes and styles, runs around on defense like a fiend, and has those springloaded calves, supremely important for grabbing rebounds even after misjudging the ball off the rim. Nate Robinson should be enough to offset my love of Lee, but I do my best to ignore the annoying little bastard. IF he wins the slam dunk contest this year, I might get more angry than last night watching the Lakers-Pacers game.
Watchability: 6.5

No comments: