Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The NBA: Where Flopping Happens

Between spitting out 3 different final projects, work, and watching a bit of the Champions League, I found some time to fire out a quick post. It's funny I mention European soccer, because I am starting to feel like the NBA players and coaches are taking the worst traits from soccer and applying it to what should be the most beautiful sport on our planet. Ironically, the most prominent floppers in our league (Manu Ginobili, Argentina and Anderson Varejao, Brazil) are from countries where soccer was the most prominent sport during their youth. I am not saying that American born players aren't guilty of flopping by ANY means, but I feel like the trend began right around the same time as the influx of foreign players being drafted by NBA teams.

I have to give these players credit, they are finding ways to put the ref's in tough positions to make a judgment call in a few tenths of a second. However, I think flopping is reaching a breaking point in the NBA. Games are littered with players falling over from phantom fouls, or putting on their best acting to gain a call. It's ruining the viewing experience. I can't tell you how many times I will watch a game and yell at my T.V. for the floptastic atrocities that are taking place during these playoffs and throughout the regular season. Here are a couple of examples...



No comments: