Thursday, July 3, 2008

Brain Stir

Here are some things that have been stirring around my brain the past couple of days...

-I am seriously disappointed with the Warriors and how they have handled their draft and the Baron Davis situation. As far as drafting a Brandon Wright clone in Anthony Randolph, are you kidding me? You want those two clowns anchoring the PF and C position for the next 10 years? I am 99% certain that Shaq outweighs both of them put together at the moment. And its not like they are going to stretch the floor with any sort of shooting range beyond 10 feet. I suppose Baron's situation was inevitable, but its hard to argue against paying this man. I can count on one hand the number of players in this league who are a threat to drop a triple-double every single time they step out on to the floor.

-All of this talk about the Olympics and watching soccer's Eurocup and Champions League has got me pondering. We should have some sort of international club tournament. Hear me out on this one... European Soccer has a tournament where they invite 2 or 3 of the best teams from the best leagues around the world and they duke it out in a tournament for worldwide club supremacy. There is also the World Cup to see which country can sport the best team. Basketball does a solid job with the country battle as far as the Summer Olympics and World Championships but wouldn't you want to see a tournament of the top clubs throughout the world? I say take the top 5 teams from the NBA, Spain, Italy, Greece, Russia, Turkey etc. and have them play a tournament to decide which club team is best. We already know that Barcelona and CSKA Moscow sport teams full of NBA talent. Wouldn't it be fun to watch them all play each other? One adjustment that would have to be made would be a shortening of the NBA season. How about lower the amount of regular season games to 50? That would make the regular season a little more exciting and provide the needed rest for teams that would be participating in this tournament. And to spice up the NBA Draft Lottery, we could always have the bottom 8 teams battle for the #1 pick in a quick NCAA-like bracket single elimination tournament. This might prevent teams from tanking at the end of the year as they must prepare for this tournament to improve the future of their team. As far as the other 16 teams that are tournament free? Throw them into a tournament....I haven't thought of a good enough prize for the winners though....More home court games in the next season? Someone think of something and let me know.

-I have been working out exact details on how this tournament would be set up and run in my head and I will fire out the end results in blog form as soon as I am able to coherently transfer it from brain to paper.


CSKA Moscow

No comments: