Saturday, May 3, 2008

Second Round Predictions

Nate, you're slacking! The second round is about to start, but no predictions yet. Your first round record is looking pretty good (6 out of 7 so far). You only got 3 out of 8 right on the number of games, but I guess the 76ers and Hawks kinda surprised everyone in that regards. Anyways, here's my second round picks:

Utah vs Los Angeles:
Utah has better defense and is more consistent than Denver (particularly at home), but LA is the better team and I think they showed in the first round how focused they are in this playoff run. Lakers are going to protect their home court and split with the Jazz in Utah.

LA in 5

San Antonio vs New Orleans:
This is a hard series to predict. The predictions I've seen online give the series to San Antonio because of their clear advantage in playoff experience. Maybe I'm letting my personal preferences influence my prediction, but I can see New Orleans winning this one. Like the Suns, the Hornets are a more athletic and skilled team than San Antonio. I think San Antonio was still able to beat the Suns because they exploited key weaknesses in the Suns defense and showed more determination and focus in closing out games. The Hornets have a better defense and, from what I've seen, do a better job finishing close games (they have an excellent record for overtime wins). San Antonio does have much more playoff experience, but I think New Orleans is showing they are already comfortable playing at this level (particularly Paul, who is so central to their offense).

The Spurs will probably piss me off again and prove me wrong, but with home court I say
New Orleans in 7

Orlando vs Detriot:
I haven't followed the Eastern Conference as closely and in particular haven't seen Orlando play much, but what I have seen was impressive. Still, it's hard for me to imagine them beating Detriot, especially since the 76ers finally seemed to kick them into gear.

Detriot in 6

Cleveland vs ?:
I'll wait to see who they are actually playing.




2 comments:

The Nateorious B.I.G. said...

This is cutting into my final project due in 35 hours, but I'll throw down my predictions...

L.A.-Utah: Utah has so many defenders to throw at Kobe, just like they did with McGrady, but this is Kobe so I'm sure he will be unfazed. My brain is telling me that Boozer can neutralize all of the damage Gasol can inflict just as he did on Denver, but my instinct doesn't see it happening.

Lakers in 6

N.O.-S.A: After years of experience, I know better to pick against the Spurs. If the Spurs make it to the finals, David Stern will head for the hills, as ratings will continue to never reach those of the 80's and 90's. Watch for Tyson Chandler to disappear this series.

S.A. in 6

Boston-Cleveland: Yeah I'm assuming that there is no way that the Hawks pull out a victory in Boston. The closest game in the Garden has been 19 points right? As far as this series is concerned, my math tells me that 3 stars>1 superstar. If by some miracle the Hawks win, Cleveland in 6. But as far as I'm concerned...

Boston in 7

Detroit-Orlando: Not really fair to pick this series as game 1 is already over, but I there is no way I would pick against Detroit. I do have the Pistons winning it all in my Facebook bracket. Watching this game does irritate me though, as Dwight Howard is catching the ball about 15 feet away from the basket. Is Rasheed Wallace really as strong as you?? The same thing I said about the Spurs goes for Detroit and David Stern.

Detroit in 6

Mike said...

Boston vs Cleveland: I have to pick Boston for this one too. Lebron has led his team past seemly superior teams before, and say what you want about it being a bad match up, but the Celtics showed they were human in the first round; however, the Cavs winning would still be impressive, even by Lebron James standards.

Boston in 7